Misieq

Jenkins PlasticSCM compatibility with Pipelines (workflows)

Hi Codice team

Do you plan to support in PlasticSCM Jenkins plugin Pipelines workflow?

It looks that with current version of plugin (2.5) checkout procces hangs if I add PlasticSCM as checkout step in workflow.

Jenkins 2.x looks to promote workflow approach, so it would be really great to have it supported also by Plastic.

I have feeling that it's not very high effort.

I have found following information about "adjusting" SCM plugins to work with workflow:

https://github.com/jenkinsci/pipeline-plugin/blob/master/COMPATIBILITY.md

https://github.com/jenkinsci/pipeline-plugin/blob/master/DEVGUIDE.md (SCM chapter)

https://github.com/jenkinsci/workflow-scm-step-plugin/blob/master/README.md (Generic SCM chapter)

Regards

PS. I know that possible workaround would be to use GitServer feature. But for that moment it is not available for me :)

Hi

Just to know where we stand - do you plan in near future to update PlasticSCM Jenkins plugin in this area?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Regards

Hi!

sorry for the delay answering, yes we want to keep evolving the Jenkins plugin. Let me add your suggestion to our list, we'll update this thread as soon as we start working on it.

Just checked PlasticSCM Jenkins plugin v2.8

Looks that 'cm' steps now works fine :) (however no deep testing - just plugin installetion and single checkout).

Thanks for your effort.

Hello

Recently we have started to use Jenkins Pipelines in more excesive way.

I have currently two observations regarding PlasticSCM:
1) If Pipeline script is taken from repository (e.g. Jenkinsfile) than workspace always gots delated and re-created (probably because at first Jenkins is recreating workspace to "script" folder - to checkout Jenkinsfile and later on back to regular one)

2) It is possible to configure Pipeline to checkout Jenkins file from PlasticSCM repository (PlasticSCM appears on dropdown list). However when job is already configured and you want to reconfigure it only Git and Subversion are seen at job configuration page (current configuration with PlasticSCM is not displayed but is preserved if you do not press Save/Apply).

Is it in the pipeline (pun intended) to implement support for Jenkins Multibranch Pipeline jobs or is the recommendation still to enable the GitServer functionality?

Hi,

we are successfully using Jenkins directly against Plastic Cloud (no GitServer intermediary involved). We are running into the same problem that @Misieq has reported:

2) It is possible to configure Pipeline to checkout Jenkins file from PlasticSCM repository (PlasticSCM appears on dropdown list). However when job is already configured and you want to reconfigure it only Git and Subversion are seen at job configuration page (current configuration with PlasticSCM is not displayed but is preserved if you do not press Save/Apply).

This bug is logged in Jenkins' issue database since some time back.

Now it sounds as though this is something which Codice software is aware of, and has fixed, according to release notes for 7.0.16.1902:

Jenkins plugin: There was an issue configuring existing pipeline projects. The PlasticSCM entry didn't appear in the SCM dropdown list if the pipeline was set to get the script from SCM. Fixed.

However, I have upgraded to Plastic SCM 7.0.16.1912 on my Jenkins master, and the problem remains. Same symptoms as in the Jenkins JIRA ticket.

(I think it is odd that the latest Ubuntu package is version 7.0.16.1912, when the latest readme on the Plastic site is for 7.0.16.1902. Not sure if that has any implication.)

If someone from Codice software is interested in doing more troubleshooting, feel free to reach out to me.

Yes, sorry. This bug is already fixed but the fix hasn't been yet published in the Jenkins repository. Most probably it will be ready before the end of this week.

Sorry for the inconveniences,

Carlos.

@calbzam do you plan also to implement "light check-out" of only Jenkinsfile instead of creation whole workspace?

I think that it should be enough to just use "cm cat" command to retrieve Jenkinsfile into temporary workspace, shouldn't it?